Friday, February 17, 2006

*this is part two of the message uploaded today ... so it works best to read the msg below first :)

I'm really excited about visiting my site next week and staying with Ricky, the current PCV there. Most people don't have the opportunity to ask questions directly to someone with first-hand experience of PC work at their site. More details after the visit!

I've been in good health during my time here and have been enjoying my time with my host family. It's unfortunate taht I'm only able to communicate in French with the 'dad', 'older sister' and 'older brothers'. The 1st mother in the family speaks Pulaar, the language of the Fouta region, so as I begin to learn that language I am excited to be able to communicate more with her. Dispite the communication difficulties we have, we still take trips to the market together and then cook every sunday afternoon. We also have some unique experiences, such as last week when she decided that I should go the the mosque with her. We went along with a few other women and practiced the ritual prayers. As women we wrapped in headscarfs and traditional clothing, which is worn, without the headscarf, by most women here everyday. We used teh prayer mats just outside the entrance to the mosque (the inside area is reserved for the men). It was an interesting experience, but I hope they weren't sincere when they said they wanted me to go with them everyday!

That sums up what I've been busy with here. I hope all is well at home!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home